Stewartsville News

Good afternoon,

Closing our school, no matter what the situation is always a difficult decision, and we understand the decision will place hardships on everyone within the school community. We know these challenges, and do not take them lightly; however, we believe there is the potential of a greater danger if we do not act so we have decided not to have students return on Monday, March 23, 2020, and to keep the school closed through at least Friday, April 3, 2020.

At this time point and time we are: 

  • Requesting all staff members to report to school on a staggered schedule on Monday, March 23, 2020, to work through plans for how we will conduct the business of school during the closure. - We will be providing more information on how this looks once we have all met.
  • We will follow the recommendations that are put out by MSHSAA for all extracurricular activities and practices.
  • Rescheduling the following events/activities in hopes of being able to keep some sense of normalcy as we move through this unprecedented time.
    • Prom - Junior/Senior Prom Saturday, April 25. The prom would be hosted at school. The decision to allow outside dates and nonessential guests will be made at a later date. 
    • PTO Carnival - May 2 at the earliest. This will be contingent on what is determined safe for large group gatherings.
    • Alumni Banquet - May 9 at the earliest. This will be contingent on what is determined safe for large group gatherings.
    • Graduation - is now scheduled for May 17 - This pushes the date out of the 8-week window and hopefully will allow us to safely have graduation in an open forum for all family and community to attend. 
    • Senior Trip – Has been rescheduled for May 18-21. We are concerned with sending students and staff on a trip that is not necessary, but we will evaluate the situation as it draws closer.  
  • We are also considering extending the school year until Friday, May 29. Monday, May 25, would be a no-school day in observance of Memorial Day. 
    • This decision is contingent on what the state decides to do with the requirement for MAP and EOC testing. 
  • Finally, we are working on developing a plan for delivering meals to students during the closure.  

We are all facing new adversity, and there are more questions than answers right now. Something that is not in question is the strength and resilience of this community. I have no doubts about the ability and willingness of everyone to pull together and do whatever is necessary.

Thank you for all that you do to make this a great community.

Michael Stephenson